How to Create Email Group or a Mailing List in Gmail
- April 7, 2022
- In 2020, 305 billion emails were sent and received every day.
- A person sends on average 40 emails a day for business purposes.
- You can store up to 25000 contacts on Google Contacts.
Setting up an email contact group before you launch your next business or reach out to prospects is one of the smartest moves you can make. You may want to bring the gang together to share information, keep each other in the loop on current happenings, or get some work done. Whatever your reason, We’ll teach you how to build an email group in Gmail that keeps everyone up-to-date.
Benefits of Creating a Mailing Group
Saving time: Sending emails to a large group of people through Gmail can be very tedious. If you have to send an email to a large group of people regularly, it can be a better idea to create a group in Gmail with those email addresses and use the group address instead. This will save you a lot of time.
Keep your inbox clean by creating groups: Another benefit of creating groups in Gmail is that you can keep your inbox clean by removing unnecessary emails. You can create a group for your family members, friends, co-workers, etc., and add them to the group. Now you don’t have to remember these email addresses when you are sending an email to them. Instead, you can simply use their group address.
Distributing Content with Email Distribution Lists: Email distribution lists are especially useful for bloggers and other content creators who want to share their work with an audience. For example, if you’re a travel blogger, you can easily create an email distribution list that sends out your latest posts with the click of a button.
Share documents, photos, and videos with your family, friends, or co-workers. No need to send them by email one by one. Just add in the folder that you have created for this purpose and everyone can access them from any device.
Upcoming event Info: Share information about upcoming events like birthdays, weddings, or meetings. You will never miss an important event with your friends or colleagues because they will always be informed by email.
Reminders: Create reminders for any event at a specific date or time. Reminders will be sent by email to all of your group members.
How to Create a Email/Contact Group in Gmail
If you regularly email the same group of people, you can create a contact group in Gmail and send an email to everyone in that group at once.
Follow the steps to create a group in Gmail:
Step1: Open Google Contacts.
Step2: Click on Create New Contact >Create Multiple Contacts
Step3: Now enter the Contact Details. You can enter the email only (email@example.com) or enter name and email together (Andy<firstname.lastname@example.org>). You can also import contacts by clicking on the import Contacts option.
Step4: Click on “No Label” and add a new label to your contacts.
Step5: Click on “Create.” Now you can send an email to a Group
How to Create a Distribution List in Google Sheets
If you send out an email newsletter weekly, it’s probably most effective to add all the addresses of your subscribers to a Google Docs spreadsheet. Not only is this method more organized and efficient than sending via Gmail, but it reduces any chance of mistakes in the process as well. Here’s how to do it:
- Open Google Spreadsheet
- Create a name for your spreadsheet
- Organize your mailing list by identifying how many columns and rows you need.
- Enter the Headings of what information you want to add to the sheet. Mostly the list contains First Name, Last Name, Email Address, City, State.
- Now enter the contact Details.
How to Import a Contact Group From a Google Sheet
Now that you have created your contact list, you’re going to import it from Google Sheets to Gmail. To do this, you will create a contact group in Gmail. It is easy using the process outlined here.
- In the top left corner click on File > Download> Comma- Separated Values(.csv)
You can now upload this .csv file to google contacts and use the contacts to send an email to a group in Gmail
Note: Refer to How to create a content group section, Step3
How to Delete Contacts from a Gmail Group
If you’ve created a group in your Gmail contacts and you want to remove one or more of the contacts, you can do so just as easily as you added them.
- Open Google Contacts
- You will see the list of your contacts, click on the “avatar” of the contact then it will be selected.
- Under the search bar Click on “Three dots” and select “Delete”
You can select as many contacts as you want to delete from the list
Cons Of Gmail Email Groups
Gmail Email Groups are a great and powerful tool to have at your fingertips. But there are some issues with Gmail email Groups that are:
Manual data entry is tedious and prone to error.
You can’t easily update Gmail email groups, because the only way to do it is to manually add or remove members one at a time. If your group has a lot of members, this will take a lot of time to edit it and sometimes a user can mistakenly delete some useful emails or add emails that are not associated with that group.
Managing follow-ups can be challenging
Gmail Email groups are great for keeping everyone in the loop with a single message. However, managing follow-ups can be challenging. You might find yourself with multiple people responding to different group members or with everyone being cc’d on every response.
Ans: Benefits of creating a group in Gmail
- Communication becomes easier.
- All the members of your group will get emails from a single email address.
- Saves you time as you don’t have to type or select multiple contacts.
- You can add members anytime, anywhere, and remove them if needed.
- Also, an excellent way to keep in touch with relatives, friends, and social and work circles.
Ans: You can make a group email list in Gmail, but it’s not as easy as it should be. There are several ways to do it, depending on whether you want to send a message to the whole list or just want to put them into some kind of contact group. The easiest way is to just type the addresses separated by commas. However, if you’re going to be doing this regularly, that’s not very convenient.
Ans: You can manage your email groups in Gmail by following these steps:
- Sign in to Google Contacts.
- Select My Groups.
- To the right of the group, you want to view, click Manage. If you don’t see this option, you aren’t an owner or manager for that group. To become one, contact the group’s owner.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, choose a task.
- Edit group: Change a group’s name, description, or other settings.
- Manage members: Add new members or change roles for existing members.
Ans: You can create a group in your contact list by following the steps below:
- Open the “Contacts app”.
- Tap on the “Menu icon” (three lines) on the top left corner to display the sidebar.
- Tap on “Groups”.
- On the top right corner, tap on the “Add” (+) icon to add a new group.
- Give your group a name and tap “OK”.