Today, the world’s biggest games are using cross-play to link people through different platforms–Among Us, Call of Duty, and Fortnite, to name a few.
Shortly after console developers such as Sony eventually accepted cross-play in 2018, the success of these games pushed cross-play into the spotlight.
Cross-play, or cross-platform play, refers to people with different hardware to play with and against each other at the same time. It’s a term that refers to the opportunity for a player on one gaming console to play with and against another player using a different hardware device, such as a computer or another gaming console.
However, cross-platform games are quite challenging to make.
Only a few platforms feel compelled to work together to make it happen. Let’s take a look at the Xbox and PlayStation platforms that are run by Microsoft and Sony.
For a cross-play game to run, it would have to be hosted on 1 of the 2 companies’ hardware, which would come at an additional cost for which they would most likely demand compensation.
Some Helpful Tips in Cross-Platform Game Development
The good thing is, making a cross-play game is not technically difficult. Below are helpful steps that you can follow to successfully achieve cross-platform gaming:
- Determine what software or game development engine you’ll use to create a cross-platform game. Among available game development engines are Unreal Engine & Unity, CryEngine, GameMaker Studio, LibGDX, Godot Engine, and Solar2D.
- Know which services you are permitted to use and which you are not permitted to use. There are many fantastic gaming platform services out there, such as Xbox Live and Steamworks. However, you won’t be able to use any of them to build a cross-platform game. You’ll need your own collection of services and matchmaking system that works behind the scenes and links the various services to each other.
- Know who your players are. Find out where most of your players are from, Epic, PlayStation, or Xbox? This is possible through account linking, where you connect your main account to the various network accounts.
- Make a list of things you should take into consideration so you won’t miss any of them. List components such as achievements, in-game voice and text chat, leaderboards, player profiles, matchmaking, rules, session management, stats.
The Best Software That can be Used in Cross-Platform Game Development:
- Unity – makes it easy to design graphics, effects, and add objects. It is easy to learn and test. It has an embedded editor and supports many languages like UnityScript, C#, and Boo. It used both 2D and 3D. No wonder most of the world games use this engine. The supported platforms include Windows Phone, Android, iOS, Tizen OS, and Fire OS.
- Unreal Engine – Although using it for cross-platform requires the installation of SDK, it is still one of the most popular game engines. This is a good platform even for beginners. It is user-friendly, and the interface is easy to work with. Its supported platforms include Android, iOS, Windows PC, Linux, Sony PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Steam OS, HTML5, and Mac OS X.
- CryEngine – Supports all platforms. It offers high-quality visuals to create experiences like animations.
- GameMakerStudio – It is popular for creating 2D games, and its language is easy to learn. Moreover, it facilitates faster design time and low capital to start developing a game. Its supported platform includes iOS, HTML5, Windows Phone, Android TV, Android, Windows Phone, Tizen, Amazon Fire, PS Vita, fireTV, and Microsoft UWP.
- GodotEngine – It is used in creating 2D and 3D games. It is a simple tool for creating mobile games. It is known for its innovative design and flexible scene. ts supported platform includes Android, iOS, Windows PC, Linux, UWP, and BSD
- Solar2D – It uses 2D features. It is famous for a very active and supportive community and its clear documentation. Thus, even if you are new in this environment, you will find a lot of resources. Its supported platform includes iOS, HTML5, Windows, Android TV, macOS, Android, tvOS, and Linux.
It is easier to choose an engine due to the varieties of choices available in the market. Newbies and veterans alike can develop their own game. Aside from that, others offer low to no cost, so there will be no problem developing a game if it’s what you really like doing.After all of these, never forget that QA services are a vital part of the development process. It ensures that the game follows a logical pattern and all the standards set are met. Make sure that you have checked these thoroughly before offering them to the market.