Are you thinking of replacing your old desk with a new height-adjustable model? Then, you need to choose the new desk correctly. The item isn’t cheap and is supposed to serve you for at least several years.
Now, let us have a look at what details to pay attention to when choosing an item for ages.
- First of all, choose the shape and the size of a new desk. Here, we would recommend paying attention to v-shaped desks. There are several reasons why so:
- A v-shaped desk saves space or rather allows to use of the space that is usually left unused. Thus, it is a perfect choice for an apartment or a smaller office.
- Such a desk allows accommodating more things than a usual rectangular option. Thanks to its v-shaped form, the desk is very functional.
- It is comfortable to work at. With a god chair, you can reach the needed items just with a turn.
However, even if a v-shaped desk seems to be a perfect option for almost every environment, it is needed to choose it responsibly to avoid disappointments.
How to Choose a Height-Adjustable Desk: a Step-by-Step Guide
When choosing a new height-adjustable item, make sure to check every feature. Every characteristic might be crucial and might determine whether you are going to enjoy using your new desk or will be suffering.
There are mandatory parameters to check. If at least one fails, your new furniture piece might not serve you as expected:
- The lifting power: this feature might be simply ignored if you use only a computer to work. However, if you use several monitors or additional heavy items, your desk might simply not handle them if the lifting power of its system is too low. To check whether the lifting power of an item you are going to buy is sufficient, weigh all the equipment that you use and contact a representative of the manufacturer of your desk. There is a special formula to calculate this value, and if you aren’t sure how to do it, ask a specialist.
- The stroke length: whether you prefer to work in a standing or a sitting position, the stroke length of the lifting system shall be sufficient to be adjusted to the needed height.
- The desk shape and size: if the desk is too big, and the place for it is limited, the item might not fit, and thus, will be unusable. A too-small desk will not comply with your requirements. Thus, measure carefully the place where you are going to put the desk, check whether you can accommodate on this area everything that you need for work, and then, choose a desk-based on these measurements.
- Tabletop material: a wooden tabletop looks nice but might be too heavy. Such desks are also very expensive and in most cases they are custom-made. A plastic tabletop is cheaper but it does not always look nice. Now, the most common option is a tabletop made from MDF. Such desktops are nice, lightweight, and pretty resistant. They are also affordable.
Add Your Own Requirements
Now, when the main parameters are checked, you might consider other requirements depending on your personal preferences and needs:
- Shape: while you are free to choose any shape of your desk, a V-shaped desk allows you to use the space more efficiently. Such desks have also a bigger area than a usual rectangular desk that would occupy the same place. Thus, you will be able to accommodate there more things to keep them by hand.
- Colour: it depends on the décor of your office. Now, you can choose from a variety of options. Even if you don’t find the needed color, you can order a custom-made desk.
- Accessories: they add your desk functionality and make your work more pleasant and efficient. A nice paper organizer will allow you to keep all the needed documents by hand. A comfortable drawer created especially for standing desks will serve you for keeping all the stationery there. A cable management system will protect cables from pets if you have any and will prevent you from tangling and damaging yourself and your equipment.
What about lockable wheels? If you love moving from one place to another while working, get them. While you are working, lock them, and work as if the desk had the usual legs. And when you feel a wish to move closer to, say, a window, use the wheels to roll the heavy desk with all the devices safely.
Now, you can choose the best desk for you. Adjust it properly. Whether you are sitting or standing, its height shall allow you to work conveniently. Equip with the needed accessories, and enjoy the most comfortable working place ever.